Takoma Park Community Center, 7500 Maple Ave.
Mon-Fri, 9-9, Sat, 10-2. Info: www.takomaprkmd.gov.
- Harry Stone: H@ndyman (acrylics and oils). Thru March 16-May 10.
- Feather Fancy – Galina Kolosovskaya creates flowers created from birds’ feathers. Thru April.
- Petal and Leaf (Photos by Coriolana Simon and Douglas Wolters). Thru April
Montgomery College King Street Gallery
Cafritz Foundation Arts Center, 930 King St., Takoma Park.
Mon-Fri, 8 AM-4 PM. Info: 240-567-1368.
- Terraforming: Contemporary discourse in landscape photography. March 7-April 11.
- Julio Valdez (prints & paintings). April 18-May 11.
- Annual Student Exhibit, May 17 – September 11
Pyramid Atlantic Art Center, 8230 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring.
- Marian Osher: Art*Sparks (prints). Thru March 25.
- Impressions from the Press Room II-Spring. Thru April 29.
Space 7:10 at Kefa Cafe.963 Bonifant St, Silver Spring.
M-Th, 7 AM-5 PM. Fri, 7 AM-9 PM. Sat, 8 AM-5 PM. Info: space710atkefa.blogspot.com.
- Art and Inspiration: Friends and Family of Brendan Ogg celebrates his poetry. Thru April 27.
- Math as Art Exhibit, coming in June.
Kramer Gallery at Silver Spring Civic Center, One Veterans Place, Silver Spring.
Mon-Fri, 9 AM-8 PM. Info: www.creativemoco.com/kramer-gallery.
- Geometry Transformed. features four Montgomery County artists — Eric Celarier, Floris Flam, Donna Radner and Shelley Sims. Through May 25.
Brookside Gardens: 1800 Glenallan Ave, Wheaton. Info: 301-962-1400 or www.brooksidegardens.org.
- Eric Hagemann (photograph), Mary D. Ott (monotypes), Andrea Bank (watercolors) – thru April 8.
- Kay Sandler (pastels and watercolors), Anna Shuman, (watercolors). April 9-May 18.
- Botanica 2012: The Art & Science of Plants (School of Botanical Art). May 19-July 6.
- Check site for current exhibit.
CHILDREN & FAMILIES
Takoma Park MD Library. 101 Philadelphia Ave. 301-891-7259. RSVP at www.takomapark.info/library/registration.html
- Community Circle Time (ages 18 mos.-5 yrs.): Tuesdays at 10 AM, repeated 11 AM.
- Spanish Circle Time (with Senora Geiza): Thursdays at 10:30 AM.
- French Circle Time: Sign up for updates
- Bedtime Stories: Generally first Monday at 7 PM. PJs welcome. No RSVP.
- Comics Jam: Date varies.
- Banned Book Club: Last Monday of month (middle school and high school clubs meet on alternate months). April 16 (Junior club – “Sideways Stories from the Wayside School”).
- Scribblers Cabal – drawing with Dave Burbank. ages 5 and up. RSVP encouraged.
Takoma Park DC Library. 416 Cedar St. NW, DC. Info: 202-576-7252.
- Monday Movies (ages 3-5, based on kids lit): 10:30 & 11:30 AM.
- Baby Lap Time: Weds at 10 AM.
- Preschool Story Time (ages 3-5): Weds at 10:45 AM.
- PAL Pajama Party: Tuesdays at 7 PM.
- Children’s Book Club (grades 2-4 w/parents): First Thursday.
Silver Spring Library. 8901 Colesville Rd. RSVP: 240-773-9420.
- Baby Bug Lapsit (infant-24 months): First Tuesday of month at 10:15 AM.
- Preschool Storytime (ages 3-6): First Friday of month at 10:15 AM.
Long Branch Library. 8800 Garland Ave. RSVP: 240-777-0910
- Preschool Storytime (ages 3-6): Wed Jan 11 & 25 and Feb 8 at 10:30 AM.
- Baby Storytime (under 2): Wed Jan 18 and Feb 15 at 10:30 PM.
Kensington Park Library. 4201 Knowles Ave. Kensington. 240-773-9515.
- Preschool Storytime (ages 3-6): Wednesdays at 10:30 AM.
Noyes Children’s Library. Open Tues-Thurs-Sat, 9 AM-5 PM. 10237 Carroll Pl., Kensington. 240-773-9570.
- Kids Storytime. Wednesdays 10:30-11 AM
Imagination Stage. 4908 Auburn Ave, Bethesda. Sat & Sun (1:30 & 4 PM). $10-22. Info: 301-280-1660 or www.imaginationstage.org.
- Rapunzel: April 4-May 20
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: June 20-Aug 12.
Adventure Theatre. Glen Echo Park, 7300 MacArthur Blvd. Tues-Sun, Matinees. ” $15/adult; $12/child. Info: 301-320-5331 or www.adventuretheatre.org
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day: March 2-April 9.
- Five Little Monkeys: April 27-June 3.
- If You Give a Moose a Muffin: June 22-Sept 2.
- Big, The Musical: July 12-Aug 5 (Round House Theatre, Bethesda)
The Puppet Company. Glen Echo Park, 7300 MacArthur Blvd. Fri (10 & 11:30 AM), Sat-Sun (11:30 AM & 1 PM). $10/all ages. Info: www.thepuppetco.org or 301-320-6668.
- Rapunzel: March 15-April 7.
- Pinocchio: April 12-June 3.
CLASSES & WORKSHOPS
Free Candy Making Workshops at Little Bitts Shop. Every Saturday, 2-4 PM. 11242 Triangle Ln, Wheaton. For details call 301-933-2733 .
AFI Silver Theatre. 8633 Colesville Rd. Silver Spring. www.afi.com/silver. $11.50/general; $8.50/members; $9/seniors
- Silent Cinema Series— April 13-June 27
- Jack Nicholson: A Retrospective: April 13-June 27
- Monty Python & the Holy Grain – thru April 19
- Castles in the Sky (Studio Ghibli) – April 14-June 17
- Shirley MacLaine (AFI Life Achievement) – April 20-June 11
- Korean Film Festival: April 21-June 13
- Peter Falk Remembered: April 22-June 17
- Golden Age of Indian Cinema: May 12-June 28.
- SilverDocs: June 18-24.
Takoma Park Farmers Market. Sundays, year-round. Locally grown produce since 1982. 10 AM-2 PM. Laurel Ave. at Carroll Ave. More info: takomaparkmarket.com.
Crossroads Farmer’s Market. Closed til spring. Info: www.crossroadsproject.org.
Flower Avenue Market in Silver Spring. Array of antiques, art, books, collectibles, clothing, crafts, furniture, toys and more. 9 AM-4 PM. 8809 Flower Avenue at the corner of Arliss Street. Thru December. Info: floweravenuemarket.com
Silver Spring FreshFarm Market. Now open year-round. Saturdays, 9 AM-1 PM. Ellsworth Drive between Fenton St., and Georgia Ave. Info: www.freshfarmmarket.org.
Fenton Street Market at Veterans Plaza.
Downtown Wheaton Flea Market. Every Sunday year-round. 9 AM-3 PM. Antiques, collectibles, jewelry, clothing, crafts, and toys, silver. Reedie Drive and Grandview Avenue (Wheaton Triangle). Info: www.wheatonmd.org or 301-649-1915.
Kensington Farmers Market. Saturdays, 8 AM-Noon. MARC Train Station on Howard Avenue. Info: tok.md.gov.
Capital City Cheesecake. 7071 Carroll Ave., Takoma Park. 301-270-7260 or www.capitalcitycheesecakes.com.
- Sundays: Open Mic, hosted by Rob H. 6-8 PM. (Sign up begins at 5 PM).
- Thursdays. 7:30-9 PM.
Austin Grill. 919 Ellsworth Dr., Silver Spring. Info: 240-247-8969 or www.austingrill.com
1st and 3rd Tuesdays: Kids-eat-free night, plus live music.
- Wednesdays: AG After Dark (live karaoke) – 8-11 PM.
- Saturdays: Live music, 10 PM-1 AM. No cover
Los Arrieros Restaurant. 7926 Georgia Ave., Silver Spring. 301-495-9445
- First Thursday: Cajun Night.
- Fridays & Saturdays: Latin DJ. 10 PM-3 AM. (Sat only, $10 cover before 11 PM).
McGinty’s Public House. 911 Ellsworth Ave., Silver Spring. www.mcgintyspublichouse.com or 301-587-1270.
- Tuesdays: Traditional Irish music. 8 PM. Free.
- Thursdays: Acoustic Live. 8 PM-12:30 AM, no cover.
- Fridays & Saturdays: Live rock and roll. 10 PM. Cover (usually $5).
New Deal Cafe. Roosevelt Center, 113 Centerway, Greenbelt (mile north of Exit 23 of 495). 301-474-5642 or www.newdealcafe.com. No cover.
- Tuesdays-Thursdays: Most nights til 9 PM, including Thurs open mic. No cover.
- Fridays-Saturdays: Live music: 6:30-8:30 PM plus second band til 11 PM, most weekends.
- Sundays: Various musicians, 11 AM-8 PM.
Quarry House Tavern. 8401 Georgia Ave., Silver Spring. Info: 301-587-8350.
- Saturdays: Live music. 9:30 PM, $6 cover.
Takoma Station. 6914 Fourth Street NW, DC. 202-829-1999 or www.takomastation.com.
- Wednesdays- Open Jazz Jam thru Dec 30, then switch to Tuesday, 7-10 PM. No cover.
- Thursdays-Saturdays: Jazz, 8 PM-close.
Brookside Gardens. 1800 Glenallan Avenue, Wheaton.
Daily, 10 AM-5 PM. www.brooksidegardens.org or 301-962-1400.
- Flower Buds: 2nd Monday of the month. Ages 3-5. $2. RSVP: www.parkpass.org).
- Spring Display: thru April 15. Free.
- Camellia Society Show and Sale: April 7 (9-5).
- Daffodil Show: April 14, 2-5 PM and April 15 (9-4).
- Earth Day Festival and Craft Fair: April 22 (12-4 PM).
- Dahlia Tuber Sale: May 5 (10-2).
- Annual Silver Spring Garden Mart: May 12 (9-3)
- Annual Lily Show: June 30 (12:30-5 PM) and July 1 (9-4)
- Summer Display: May 5-Sept 16. Free.
- Live Butterfly Exhibit: May5-Sept 16. 10 AM-4 PM. $6/adult; $4/child. Hotline: 301-962-1453.
Rock Creek Park Nature Center. 5200 Glover Rd., NW, DC. Open Wed-Sun. All programs free. For complete schedule of events see: www.nps.gov/rocr or 202-895-6070.
- Planetarium Shows: Saturdays and Sundays at 1 PM (Winter Night Sky), Saturdays and Sundays at 4 PM (Exploring the Universe). Wednesdays at 4 PM (Young Planetarium).
- Creature Feature: Fridays (meet and feed live animals), 4 PM. Friday Reads, 3 PM.
- Battlefield Cemetery Cleanup. Learn stories of Civil War bravery and sacrifice as we clean the headstones and monuments of Battleground National Cemetery. Expect to get dirty and dress accordingly. 8 and older. Sun, March 31 from 10 AM-noon.
University of Maryland Observatory. Metzerot Rd. between Adelphi and University. 301-405-6555.
- Open House, 5th and 20th of each month. Talk, tour and observation, weather permitting.
Takoma Park Intergenerational Strategy Games Club. All ages welcome. Traditional and new games on site, including Rummikub, Eurogames, Chess, Go, and Bridge. 7-9:30 PM. Victory Tower, 7051 Carroll Ave. Free. Info: contact Spineyone@yahoo.com or mkfeldman23@gmail.
Piney Branch Pool. 7610 Maple Avenue, Takoma Park (enter from Grant Ave.) PoolProgram@acsgw.org or 301-565-0190.
- Hours: Sundays (8 AM-5 PM). Mon-Fri (6:30 AM-8:30 AM). Mon-Thurs (4 PM-9 PM, closes T at 8 PM for classes), closed on Sat.
- Admission: Under 18 ($3/county; $1.25/low-income; $4/outside county). Adults ($4/county; $1.75/low-income; $5.50/outside county).
Silver Spring Stage: 10145 Colesville Rd. (Woodmoor Shopping Center). Fridays & Saturdays at 8 PM, Sunday matinees (2 PM). $20/adult; $18/student. Info: www.ssstage.org or 301-593-6036.
- Enchanted April: April 13-May 5.
- The Beauty Queen of Leenane: May 18-June 9
- Stop Kiss (provocative): June 29-July 21.
Round House Theatre (SS): 8641 Colesville Rd. Check www.roundhousetheatre.org for showtimes and ticket discounts.
- Will Gartshore: All the King’s Men: Broken Ballads with a Stiff Upper Lip – March 19 & 26. $15/general.
- Sarah Play: The Giver. March 23-April 1. $15/general.
- Contradiction Dance: The Gift. April 6-14. $15/general
- Lumina: Midsummer Night’s Dream. May 5-13. $15/general. Tickets: www.brownpapertickets.com.
- Forum Theatre: The Illusion. May 24-June 16. $25/general.
Olney Theatre. 2001 Olney-Sandy Spring Road, Olney. Wed-Sat (8 PM), Sun (7:30 PM). Sat-Sun (2 PM). $26-54. Info: www.olneytheatre.org or 301-924-3400.
- The 39 Steps: April 18-May 13.
- Sleuth: June 12-July 8.
- Little Show of Horrors: July 31-Aug 26.
- Over the Tavern: Sept 25-Oct 21.
- Cinderella (Rogers & Hammerstein): Nov 13-Dec 30.