Takoma Park, Maryland’s Ward 3 (see ward map) is having a special election April 8, 2014, to take the place of the late City Councilmember Kay Daniels-Cohen.
Tuesday, April 8—Polls open 7:00 am to 8:00 pm at the Takoma Park Fire Station, 7201 Carroll Ave. Voting will take place in the Meeting/Training Room on the building’s lower level. Access is from the fire-station parking lot. Voter parking is available in the lot. Parking also available in the city lot next to the Co-op. NOTE: there is no election day polling station at the Takoma Park Community Center/Municipal Building.
Sunday, April 6—Early voting. Polls open 12 noon to 4:00 pm, Takoma Park Community Center, 7500 Maple Ave.
Monday, April 7—Early voting. Polls open 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm, Takoma Park Community Center, 7500 Maple Ave.
Wednesday, April 2 – Tuesday, April 8—must be received by the city clerk prior to the official closing of the polls on the day of the election. See city website for more details.
For more details absentee ballots, the complete election calendar and so forth, see the City of Takoma Park special election website
Can be viewed on the city website — The candidate forum held April 1, sponsored by The Takoma Voice, the Westmoreland Area Community Organization, and Circle Woods Community Association at the Takoma Park Community Center Auditorium. The forum will also be re-broadcast on Takoma Park cable tv. Call 301-891-7100 for schedule information.
MEET THE CANDIDATES
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE CANDIDATES?
- What is your prior civic involvement?
- How many city council meeting have you attended prior to February 2014?
- Why are you running?
- What are the most pressing issues of Ward 3?
- What are the most pressing issues of Takoma Park?
- How should Takoma Junction be developed?
- How will you deal with the perennial issue of double taxation?
- The city has a strong city manager and weak mayor/council form of government. Do you support the current form?
- How do you stand on the controversial issues that the council dealt with last term?
- What is your disposition on ballot referendums and special interests?
- Do you support rent stabilization?
- What should the city do to address crime?
- What do you propose to do about the city’s racial/economic divide?
- If any of your proposals include raising the budget (adding staff, services, facilities, programs, etc.), where will the revenue come from?
- Individual questions
- Websites, social media, and events
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *